I want to like Hostages…I really, really do. On the surface, it has all the makings of a hit. Drama, a great cast, and a compelling storyline, but you can’t judge a book by it’s cover, and in this case, you can’t judge a show by its cast. Toni Collette is amazing. You couldn’t ask for a more capable leading actress, and Dylan McDermott deserves an Emmy for getting out of bed in the morning after the disaster that was Big Shots, but I fear Hostages isn’t going to be the mega hit that either of them deserve.
What follows is a series of thoughts I jotted down as I watched the episode. Beware…Spoilers Below……
1) Cheesy super agent Duncan really isn’t a very promising start. When his police backup asks him “What if you were wrong?” after he took a huge chance “taking care” of a suspect, Duncan responds “I wasn’t.” Cue dramatic music and serious bedroom eyes. Ack.
2) I can appreciate the fact that the writers care enough to try to give Duncan a backstory. A FBI agent gone rogue is so passe, so at least the wife in a coma and the daughter he’s raising gives him a touch of humanity.
3) Man…these people have problems…like super, serious need some therapy kind of problems. You’ve got a teenage girl with a secret lover and a possible bun in the oven, a teenage boy with a gambling/drug problem, and a husband hiding some definite secrets. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on with Mr. Dr. Ellen, but I do know pasta timers don’t send text messages.
4) Barkley better not be dead. Kill all the people you want, but the dogs are off limits.
5) I have to say as capable as McDermott is, I’m not sure this character really suits him. Every time he starts talking in that raspy, I’m so serious voice, I secretly want to giggle.
6) Brian Brian Brian…Do we have a little cookie on the side? Seriously though buddy…you’re in the house with a bunch of guys holding guns on you….are you really worried about your wife finding out about your affair right now? If I were being held hostage, I’m not sure I’d give a furry rat’s behind if my extramaritial activities were discovered.
7) I love the the criminal wants the kid to do his homework. See if he’d worked harder in school, he would have gotten that job as an engineer instead of being Duncan’s sidekick.
8) Barkley…you’re ok. Thank goodness. 🙂
9) Love the conversation between Duncan and the wanna be tutor. “We’re not here to fix their problems.” You’re right pal, you’re not. You don’t have that kind of time. It’s only an hour show.
10) Oh look, Duncan finds out teenage girl has a secret and we see he has a heart underneath that tough outer shell. A bad guy with a softer side–we’ve never seen that before.
11) Well, I guess they couldn’t take the chance of the beginning being more cheesy than the ending. Good job guys, you outdid yourselves again. Double Ack.
Oh Hostages, you had such promise–why did you throw it all away? Am I the only one who wonders how in the world they are going to make this stretch an entire season? I mean, I could see this lasting for a movie of the week kind of scenario or even a miniseries, but a series??? Hostages had all the elements in place to be a successful show, but unfortunately I don’t see this one sticking around for very long.
Until next time–